This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase something through that link, I will make a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thanks in advance for your continued support!
I can officially proclaim that I’m having a quarter-life crisis. Yes, I turned 25 this past Saturday. But with this crisis (job? life direction? where to live?), I’ve also acquired quite a bit of advice from my parents, friends and loved ones as well as through my travel and life experiences. Without further ado, here are 25 lessons from 25 years.
1. Always smile. It will make you feel better and it will make everyone around you feel better.
2. CARPE DIEM. Seriously, seize every day.
3. Plan…but not too much. I’m a planner, 100% a planner. But make sure to be flexible enough when your plans change, especially your life plans.
4. Don’t make someone a priority who only makes you an option.
5. Never dumb yourself down for a man/woman.
6. Taylor Swift has written a song for nearly every emotion and feeling.
7. Laughter really is the best medicine.
8. Scars are sexy.
9. Never compromise your dreams and ambitions for a man/woman.
10. No one asks your grades after university so stop stressing so much. Your grades matter for graduate programs but not for jobs.
11. Stay curious. Ask as many questions as possible. Always wonder.
12. Have compassion for all people, especially people in service industries. You are no better than anyone else.
13. Always be excited for the small things in life.
14. Call you mom and dad and grandparents.
15. Write Christmas cards. It is a great way to stay in contact with family and friends.
16. Always listen to your mom (she told me to write that…so obviously I had to listen to her!)
17. Follow your gut instinct. I can’t even count how many times my gut instinct has been correct!
18. Make sure to send thank you notes for gifts, hospitality, and anything else that might require it.
19. You can’t rationalize an irrational person (thanks for this one dad!)
20. Buy good clothing. Stop buying cheap H&M and invest in good staples (might I suggest J.Crew?! haha)
21. Read as much as possible and as often as possible.
22. Always ask. I have received so many opportunities in life just by asking for them!
23. Find a hobby. It doesn’t matter what it is but find a hobby and stick with it.
24. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Especially true for umbrellas (useful advice from grandma!)
25. Travel as often and as much as possible. I just hit my 35th country with plans to reach 50 countries by 30 years old!